To understand which taxes shall be paid in Spain, a foreigner has to decide on their tax residence. Under the law, if a foreign citizen has lived in the country for at least 183 days a year, they are automatically recognized as a fiscal resident, so must pay taxes on income obtained anywhere in the world. If you confirm your residence in your home country, then only taxes on income obtained in the Spanish territory are subject to charge.

You can resolve all doubts on your tax status with Spain Legal consultants. Based on many years of experience and “Double taxation avoidance” treaties signed by Spain with certain other countries, we will help you select the best form of reporting, suggest how to mitigate risks, and avoid unnecessary spending. Our advantage is that we not just advice, but also provide support at all stages of starting and restructuring a business – from registering a company to preparing its financial statements in compliance with international standards.

Tax residency

  • in case of permanent home in both countries, a country residence is determined based on the center of interests of a foreigner (spouse, children, business);
  • if it is impossible to determine the status in accordance with clause 1, a foreigner is considered a tax resident of the country where they usually reside;
  • when staying in both countries (or in neither of them) for equal time periods, the tax residence is determined based on citizenship.

Bear in mind: to confirm your fiscal non-residence in Spain, you shall submit to its tax agencies an appropriate certificate issued in the country of your residence.

Our tax support
services include

  • Preparation and filing of real estate and income tax returns.
  • Fiscal planning and optimization.
  • Registration with the tax authorities, obtaining an identification number (NIE) and electronic certificates for signing documents.
  • Support in the tax and other government agencies/representation of your interests by proxy.
  • Assistance in registering a business of any form.
  • Accounting, consulting and audit for residents and non-residents.